Lubricants That Solve Auto Noise and Vibration Problems
Today’s cars are engineered to deliver a smoother ride and quieter interior than cars of the past. Because of this, faint noises and small rattles that formerly went unnoticed are now more prevalent.
Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) as well as buzz, squeak, and rattle (BSR) can emanate from many internal and external sources. These sources can include rubber on paint, metal on plastic, leather on leather, or from the engine.
Krytox™ performance lubricants are ideal for addressing NVH and BSR because they are:
- Easily applied via spraying or brushing
- Impervious to the toughest conditions of rain, snow, ice, salt, dust, and dirt
- Resistant to fuel, coolant, brake fluid, and washer solvent
- Resistant to evaporation or changes in characteristics over an automobile's lifetime
- Compatible with all other materials and surfaces they may contact
Meeting Driver and Passenger Expectations
Driven by customer demand, automakers have spent years attempting to reduce NVH and BSR through a variety of passive design techniques and active technology features.
Noise and vibration performance are key considerations for new car buyers—especially with the onset of EV (electric vehicles)—and can often influence the perception of a vehicle's quality and value. Beyond the obvious annoyance factor, car buyers want quiet and smooth-riding cars for many serious reasons.
- Low- and mid-frequency noise levels can dramatically contribute to driver fatigue
- Higher frequency noise levels can inhibit the ability to hear conversations in the vehicle
- Noise can cause headaches, stress, and irritation
- Vibrations can cause irritation and discomfort
For more information, request the NVH white paper.
Where to Use Krytox™ Automotive Lubricants?
The many automotive applications of Krytox™ PFPE lubricants generally fall into two categories:
Under the Hood
Under the hood temperatures are gradually rising as aerodynamics dictate tighter packaging and large engines are being replaced by smaller turbocharged and supercharged engines for improved fuel efficiency. With ambient under the hood temperatures exceeding 120 °C (248 °F), there is a growing list of automotive applications requiring PFPE lubricants, including:
- Overrunning decouplers for alternator drive pulleys
- Front end accessory drive (FEAD) tensioners and idlers
- Throttle body bearings
- Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valves
- Intake manifold seals and actuators
- Fan clutch bearings
- Fuel system emission control valves
- Electric cooling system pumps and valves
- Ignition system boots
Vehicle Interior and Exterior Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH)
Krytox™ lubricants are an effective, long-term solution to buzz, squeak, and rattle (BSR) noises inside and outside the vehicle cabin. These PFPE oils and greases can be trusted to reduce noise, both from friction between surfaces and from mechanical vibration, without any material compatibility issues or hazardous volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some applications include:
- Weather strips and elastomer seals
- Interior plastic, metal, and leather surfaces
- Console hinges and latches
- Door and trunk latch systems
- Brake pedal assemblies
- Seat mechanisms (rails, headrest posts, and latches)
- Electric switches
- Air-bag springs
- Exterior mirrors
- Suspension bushings