Improved Mechanical Properties
Fluoroguard™ polymer additives improve the mechanical performance of various molded parts made from thermoplastic or thermoset polymers by reducing scratching and marring, and improving flex fatigue and other physical properties.
Enhanced mechanical properties derived when using Fluoroguard™ additives include:
- Reduced wear and abrasion with a lower coefficient of friction
- Minimized squeaks and noises
- Improved processing characteristics such as increased melt flow, easier mold release, and reduced die buildup
Features and Benefits of Fluoroguard™ Polymer Additives
Fluoroguard™ polymer additives are based on a fluorinated synthetic oil and available in three distinct formulations that are colorless, odorless, and chemically inert. By acting as an internal lubricant that migrates to the polymer's surface, they enhance flow properties and process throughput while improving the finished product’s wear and abrasion resistance.
Fluoroguard™ additives enhance performance in various applications, including:
- Polymer gears and bushings
- Rubber O-rings and seals
- Polymer films
- Shoe soles and cleats
- Automotive weather stripping
Fluoroguard™ additives can be compounded into a wide variety of thermoplastic and thermoset polymers, and be used in melt-compound equipment with temperatures as high as 360 °C (680 °F). These additives are processed well in twin-screw extruders with liquid additive feeders or injection capabilities.
Fluoroguard™ additives are available in three grades:
- Fluoroguard™ PCA: Used to improve product performance.
- Fluoroguard™ SG: NSF H-1-certified and used in devices and tubing that meet USP Plastics Class VI requirements.
- Fluoroguard™ PRO: Based on low molecular weight oils and is used primarily as a processing aid.