Answers to commonly asked questions about Krytox™ oils and greases
What is Krytox™?
Krytox™ is the brand name for a variety of specialty synthetic lubricating materials available in numerous grades.
Krytox™ lubricants have become the product of choice for a wide range of applications, where extremely high- or low-temperature performance, nonflammability, longevity, oxygen compatibility, and resistance to aggressive chemicals are required.
What are the primary differences between the varieties of Krytox™ oils?
Different Krytox™ oils have specific properties that make them well-suited for the demands of particular industries or environments. The family of Krytox™ oils includes:
- Krytox™ GPL (general purpose lubricants) oils, which are formulated to provide a cost-effective base oil for industrial applications.
- Krytox™ XHT (extreme high temperature) oils, which have additional treatment to make them more thermally stable at temperatures over 300 °C (572 °F).
- Krytox™ aerospace oils, which have more strict volatility specifications and are a narrower distillation than GPL oils.
- Krytox™ VPF (vacuum pump fluids), which are designed for excellent vapor pressure performance.
The Krytox™ Performance Lubricants Product Overview provides additional information.
Do Krytox™ lubricants contain silicone?
No. Krytox™ oils and greases do not contain any silicones, and no silicone is used in the manufacturing process.
What are the different grades of Krytox™ GPL lubricants and their typical applications?
- The Krytox™ GPL 10X oil and Krytox™ GPL 20X grease series contain no additives and can be used on components that come in contact with most chemicals typically used in the industry. Typical applications include valves or bearings, seal barrier fluids, instruments, and oxygen systems.
- The Krytox™ GPL 21X series contains molybdenum disulfide for extreme pressure (EP) conditions and should be used for slow speed or heavily loaded applications.
- The Krytox™ GPL 22X series contains sodium nitrite corrosion an anti-wear inhibitor; it also improves load-carrying performance and is ideal for corrosive environments. Typical applications are automotive bearings, sealed pump bearings, electric motor bearings, and general-purpose bearings.
- The Krytox™ GPL 29X greases have extreme pressure and anti-corrosion additives and have been formulated for applications needing high load-carrying capacity and anti-corrosion protection.
- The Krytox™ GPL 2EX lubricants are formulated using unique anti-rust additives. This grease is similar to Krytox™ GPL 22X series greases, but contains a non-nitrite anti-corrosion additive.
Go to the Krytox™ GPL products page for the full line of the lubricants and their product data sheets.
What goes into Krytox™ lubricants?
Krytox™ fluorinated oils are a series of low molecular weight, fluorine end-capped, homopolymers of hexafluoropropylene epoxide. The polymer chain is completely saturated and contains only carbon, oxygen, and fluorine; hydrogen is not present.
Krytox™ Performance Lubricants Applications
Where can Krytox™ lubricants be used?
Krytox™ lubricants can be used in applications where nonflammability, oxygen compatibility, materials compatibility, high-temperature stability, and resistance to aggressive chemicals are requirements. Industries include:
- Chemical Processing
- Electronics and Semiconductor
- Corrugator, Pulp, and Paper
- Industrial Maintenance, Repair, and Operations (MRO)
Refer to the Krytox™ Performance Lubricants Product Overview or the Krytox™ Lubricants Product Selection Guide to learn more.
What is the NLGI consistency of Krytox™ grease grades?
Greases are formed by mixing the base oil with a thickener. Krytox™ greases use a special high-thickening efficiency with very small particle size polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).
Greases can be formulated with different viscosity oils to handle varying temperatures and load conditions.
Additives are often incorporated into the grease to enhance anti-corrosion protection and raise load-carrying ability, reducing wear. Our standard grease grade is NLGI (National Lubricating Grease Institute) Grade 2; however, upon request, we produce NLGI Grades 000 through 6. For more information on NLGI grade options, please refer to the Krytox™ Performance Lubricants Product Overview.
What preparation is needed before using Krytox™ lubricants in bearings?
Before adding Krytox™ grease, bearings should be cleaned of all existing greases, oils, or preservative oils used during storage. If non-perfluoropolyether (PFPE) oils or greases are left in a bearing, they can form carbon deposits at high temperatures, which may accelerate bearing failure.
Is ongoing lubrication required if Krytox™ lubricants are used?
For most applications, relubrication intervals can be extended months or years. For example, in bearing applications, corrugators typically require relubrication every three to twelve months, depending on the equipment operating rates. In sealed systems, durability of Krytox™ lubricants can eliminate the need for relubrication altogether.
Can Krytox™ grease be mixed with other greases?
While Krytox™ grease will not react with the other greases or cause decomposition or any hazardous reactions, it will not stop the other lubricant from breaking down from heat and oxidation. Therefore, it is not recommended to mix Krytox™ lubricants with any non-perfluoropolyether (PFPE) oil or grease.
Characteristics of Krytox™ Performance Lubricants
What approvals do Krytox™ lubricants have?
Certain grades have the following approvals:
- MIL-Spec PRF-27617 greases are approved for aerospace applications.
- NSF H1-certified lubricants are approved for incidental food contact.
- Independently tested and confirmed for LOX and GOX use by major oxygen manufacturers and test authorities, including BAM.
- DIN 3536: Lubricant for gas valves in indoor installations, gas distribution and gas transportation pipe lines.
- DIN EN 377: Lubricant for gas appliances and associated controls.
What manufacturing certifications do Krytox™ lubricants have?
Krytox™ lubricants are manufactured under the following certifications:
- ISO 9001 Certified Quality Management System
- ISO 14001 Certified Environmental Management System
Are Krytox™ lubricants flammable?
No. Krytox™ lubricants are not combustible and do not ignite.
How stable are Krytox™ lubricants when exposed to chemicals?
Krytox™ perfluoropolyether (PFPE) oils and greases thickened with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) exhibit exceptional chemical stability. Krytox™ oils and greases will not react with most chemicals (with the exception of Lewis acids and alkali metals), or cause them to degrade.
Krytox™ performance lubricants are not only resistant to oxygen and reactive gases, but they are also inert to virtually all chemicals commonly used in most industries. For further information, please refer to Krytox™ Lubricants: Chemical Stability or Gas Compatibility.
Are Krytox™ lubricants compatible with nonmetallic materials?
Yes. Krytox™ oils and greases have been used to lubricate plastic and elastomer components for more than 60 years. For more specific information, please refer to the Krytox™ Lubricants Plastics and Elastomer Compatibility document.
Dirt is one of a bearing’s worst enemies. Debris, anti-rust preservatives, and other residues limit lubricity, which can result in failures. Proper bearing preparation and use of high-quality lubricants, such as Krytox™ performance lubricants, can reduce facility downtime and maintenance costs.
What are the best practices to ensure proper bearing lubrication?
Follow these five steps and watch the video to ensure proper bearing lubrication:
- Secure a clean work area and proper tools.
- Remove the bearing seal.
- Clean bearing with solvent and dry.
- Apply the lubricant, measuring the proper amount and ensuring even distribution.
- Replace the seals and shields.
For more information refer to the Cleaning Guide.
How to Clean and Grease Bearings: Krytox™ High-Performance Lubricants
Krytox™ performance lubricants, can reduce facility downtime and maintenance costs.